New video explaining some of the Blender Freestyle and Shaders I used.
This week I dove into making backgrounds for Robo-Rinku. These were made in Blender.
The Ballroom I built from scratch. I found a reference image I liked of a mirrored building and tried to do something similar. I first made the window and column, then used the array modifier with central point and spun the windows around. I wanted to go for a fanciful mirror/glass structure that wouldn’t exist in the real world because it’s in cyber-space!
I started with this project on blendswap and spruced it up by adding more buildings.
Hojun’s apartment is actually the original I used for the comic. I made a little changes like adding some bevel to the edges of the building and then plopped it onto the side of the city I used in the last pic. I’m not quite happy with the coloring, but I can come back to it later.
All the images went through post-processing in Clip Studio with a combo of hardlight, glow dodge and multiply.
I was fortunate enough to be invited for my second time to do set design for a local theater group! It’s fun to walk away from the computer and get my hands dirty from time to time.
The play is Lysistrata, an ancient Greek comedy by Aristophanes about women withholding sex until their men make peace and end the Peloponnesian war. Yeah, it’s Rated-R. Some of the set pieces will look suspiciously phallic or yonic.
We started out thinking about the space we were contracting for the play and where certain entrances would be. I then read the play and watched a couple productions of it on YouTube. You should watch it if you have the time. It’s hilarious! With that info, I had some idea of how the actors would move around the stage.
Two weeks before the start of the play, the flats were finished. I was a bit confused about some of the dimensions of the space we’d be setting up in so I went in and did some of my own measurements. I looked up at the ceiling….oh no…those beams look a little low don’t they?
This threw things off at first because we had to figure out a new placement for the flats on the stage. I threw some renders at the director until she gave the ok for this one:
The director wanted a rough back-ally on the left with graffiti, on the right an acropolis with “penis columns”, and a vagina somewhere. I put together a Pinterest page to gather ideas and reference images. Whenever I start a new project, I gather pictures on Pinterest like there’s no tomorrow. Found some funny ancient greek stone dick-pics, but now Pinterest thinks I want to see more stone dicks and it shows up on my feed -_-;
Here’s some painting progress pics!
The set should be finished tomorrow, so stay tuned for the end result! So excited!!!