Robo-Rinku Visual Novel – Sprint 01

Created modal windows to use in a save menu.

  • I followed this tutorial on modal windows in Unity.
  • Used that knowledge to make a standard modal window to use for any menu element I might want.
  • Added a save and load button to a dialog box.
  • Started working on events and extending menu screens.

This is what I have so far:

Modal window progress demonstration
Modal window progress demonstration

It took longer than I expected to get this far in creating the menu. I should have broken it up into smaller portions to work on. I said I was going to “Make a save and load modal window” for 11 points, but I should have made several stories: “make a modal window”, “add save function”, “add multiple-saves function”, “add load function”, etc…. I really bit off more than I could chew.

You can take a look at my in-progress Github branch here.

Made some decisions about the script and how it will differ from the original story.

Our week was cut short with vacations and Mother’s Day weekend, but we still made some really good progress.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on RedditShare on TumblrPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

Fungus Research – Week 1

Fungus Screenshot
Building a Fungus game in Unity. I made a custom story text dialog and say dialog. You can see the story flowchart at the bottom.

In my quest to make the perfect visual novel, I started to research the Fungus Visual Novel Engine for Unity 5. So far it’s been really enjoyable and I feel like this might be a viable option, but there are some hangups I still feel unsure about.

It’s lack of the basic Visual Novel system.
If you’ve tried Ren’py or played any Visual Novel, you’ll know that it comes with an options menu, save menu, title screen, rewind, etc… If I chose to use Fungus I’ll have to build a lot of that myself. It would be a good opportunity to contribute some code back to the Github project.

It can be inconsistent at times.
I’ve noticed that some of the portraits will move in directions I don’t mean them to move when I try to hide them. Flying off the screen even when I set them to fade. I’m hoping I’m just doing something wrong with my commands and I’ll figure it out later.

But there are some BIIIIIG draws that make me want to switch to Fungus.

It’s built on Unity!
I’ve been using Unity for a while and the development experience just keeps getting better with each release. If you can set up Visual Studio with Unity, you can use a debug console and step through the code as you play – something Ren’py sorely lacks.

User Interface customization is easy.
If you want a new look for a dialog box or a new spot for your character to pop up, you just have to add it by going to Tools->Fungus->Create and you’ll have a handy graphic interface to make your changes in.

The code is open and reasonably easy to customize.
I found I wanted to change the way a character portrait changes. The default behavior makes the previous portrait fade (alpha -> 0) before fading in the new portrait — So the character disappears briefly… which looked a little weird to me. In animation, you don’t make the character fade out between frames.
The line I needed to change was pretty easy to find and fix and now I have the effect I want! I’ll see if I can submit a pull-request to add that as a portrait change option.

That’s all I have to report for now. I’ll keep on working with Unity+Fungus to see how far I can go before I start tearing my hair out.

If you’re interested in trying Fungus out, here’s some youtube tutorials to get started:

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on RedditShare on TumblrPin on PinterestEmail this to someone
1 2 3